Denver Rails -The Railroads of Denver and the West
ATTRACTIONS HOME | USA MAP | SEARCH
MUSKOGEE MIDLAND VALLEY RR DEPOT AND MUSEUM
1


MUSKOGEE MIDLAND VALLEY RR DEPOT AND MUSEUM
220 ELGIN
MUSKOGEE, OKLAHOMA 74401 -USA
Location: AT SO. 3RD AND ELGIN STREETS - 2 STREETS WEST OF SO. MAIN (BUS. U.S. 64) IN TOWN
Phone: 918-686-6624
Description:
  • RAILROAD DEPOT
  • HISTORICAL LANDMARK
  • LOCOMOTIVE(S) ON DISPLAY
  • RAILROAD MEMORABILIA ON DISPLAY
  • RAILROAD RELATED MUSEUM
Web Site THREE RIVERS MUSEUM HOMEPAGE
Email Address
Comments/Directions:
In 1916, the Midland Valley rr built their Passenger and Freight depot to replace their 1904 passenger depot, built that year when the MV reached Muskogee from Arkansas. It's unique motif designed by one of the more avant-garde architects of the period (also designed identical Tulsa MV depot - now demolished) portrays his somewhat strange, stylized version of the then-popular Mission Revival style. Such as the excessively broad keystones at gable pediments and baggage/freight bays, includes geometric, rectangular and angular embellishments such as the geometrically patterned exterior chimney. It also displays many characteristics of Prairie School style of architecture that also was used in depots of the period. The depot oriented east-west with the current front facing south where the mainline tracks (now removed) had been adjacent to the building, apparently between the building and Elgin Street? (1912 plat map) The extant Frisco Freight Warehouse now is located diagonally across the intersection at South 3rd and Elgin Streets. These depots are part of the National Register's "Muskogee Depot and Freight District" (designated in 2006). The city purchased the depot in 1998. The depot houses the Three Rivers Museum - a local history museum that opened in 2001 and assumed the nom de guerre of the "Three Rivers" confluence where two tributaries empty into the Arkansas River. On the north side sits a nicely displayed ALCO S-1 No. 63-138 built in 1949 for the Fort Howard Paper Company. It was donated in 2001 by Georgia Pacific
Added 07/13/2014   Updated 08/16/2014
(15)
God Bless America
©2001-2021 Mike Stutz