Denver Rails -The Railroads of Denver and the West
DENVER RAILS HOME | RAILROAD ATTRACTIONS HOME | USA MAP | SEARCH

CLARENDON FW&DC DEPOT AND MUSEUM
INTERSECTION OF COOKE AND HAWLEY STREETS
CLARENDON, TEXAS 79226 -USA
Location: ON SAINTS ROOST MUSEUM GROUNDS. FROM U.S. 287, 0.6 MI. SOUTH ON RT. 70; WEST ON COOKE 0.2 MILE. MUSEUM ENTRANCE ON LEFT
Phone: 806-874-2746

Web Site: http://SAINTSROOSTMUSEUM.COM/
RAILROAD DEPOT
RAILROAD MEMORABILIA ON DISPLAY
Comments/Directions:
This stylized depot - built from a reconfigured portion of the original Ft. Worth and Denver City Railroad depot - was moved in 1996 to its current site at the south edge of town on the grounds of the Saint's Roost Museum, which occupies the former Adair Hospital. In 1887, the FW&DC railroad reached town. Also that year, the famed JA Ranch was started by famous cowboy Charles Goodnight (Lonesome Dove) who partnered with John Adair, whose wife established Adair Hospital for their ranch hands. It operated from 1910 until 1971 and has since housed the Saint's Roost Museum for more than 30 years. The unusual moniker for the town was the nickname used by rambunctious cowboys and railroad workers of the time. The original town was referred to as a "sobriety settlement" whereby alcohol and rowdiness were unwelcome in the religious colony begun earlier along the river bank in 1878. Folks moved and a "New Clarendon" popped up along the new rail line 6 miles away, when construction skirted the river breaks of the Salt Fork. Clarendon served as a Division Point and had a roundhouse at the west edge of town along the tracks

God Bless America 
©2001-2019 Mike Stutz