Denver Rails -The Railroads of Denver and the West
ATTRACTIONS HOME | USA MAP | SEARCH
To create a link directly to this picture simply copy the URL below and paste it in an email to a friend.

http://www.denverrails.com/db/singlepix.cfm?pix_id=

11 PHOTOS FOR QUANAH, ACME & PACIFIC DEPOT
VIEW AS GALLERY

1 Reset Actual Size
The Q.A.&P. Museum, is on Mercer Street and is part of the Hardeman County Jail Museum, which is one block west on Green Street. Built in 1908, it is among Texas’ most beautiful historical depots with exhibits about railroads, Quanah Parker, Cotton Oil Mill, Chillicothe, etc. [ http://www.quanahnet.com/coc/museums.htm ]
(submitted by Rich A. on 08/26/13)
Create a Link to this Picture Post Comments

2 Reset Actual Size
With it's symmetrical "Alamo" style parapets, might just be a representation of what - if it had been completed - the Alamo may have been, for it was intended to be three stories with two bell towers on each side.
(submitted by Rich A. on 08/26/13)
Create a Link to this Picture Post Comments

3 Reset Actual Size
The original impetus for the railroad and the ghost town of Acme, TX, located about 5 miles west of Quanah was large gypsum deposits discovered in the 1890's. The only remaining QA&P tracks to have survived is a 5-mile track that parallels the FW&D tracks (now BNSF) between Acme and Quanah that resulted from a convoluted dispute over trackage rights. [Read about it at: http://www.abandonedrails.com/Quanah_Acme_and_Pacific_Railway ]
(submitted by Rich A. on 08/26/13)
Create a Link to this Picture Post Comments

4 Reset Actual Size
By 1887, the FW&D rr had reached Quanah, which was founded in 1885. The Acme Tap Railroad, chartered in 1899, was one of the shortest common-carrier railroads in Texas. Only 1.5 miles long, it began and ended in Acme, TX where two gypsum plants competed for trackage rights. As a result, it was leased by the Acme, Red River and Northern RR and its successor, the Quanah, Acme and Pacific from April 1903 and January 1914 for access to the FW&D and the "Frisco". The Tap rr was abandoned in 1938 when the gypsum company was abandoned. [ https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/eqa03 ]
(submitted by Rich A. on 08/26/13)
Create a Link to this Picture Post Comments

5 Reset Actual Size
The QA&P started in 1902 as the Acme, Red River and Northern, a local road in Hardeman County designed to serve the needs of the Acme Plaster Company. In 1909, the Quanah, Acme and Pacific Railway was chartered and announced plans to expand southwest from Quanah toward the plains of central-west Texas south of the Panhandle.
(submitted by Rich A. on 08/26/13)
Create a Link to this Picture Post Comments

  NEXT »

GO TO TEXAS RAILROAD ATTRACTIONS

God Bless America
©2001-2024 Mike Stutz