These tracks created an increasing traffic problem near downtown, so the decision was made around 1920 to use bridges to elevate several streets above the rails and storefronts were moved to the second floors of adjacent buildings. To the right of this image is an elevated street, below it is a concealed street.
(submitted by DwightB -email@example.com on 11/04/06)
This is one of the elevated streets (no longer open to vehicles). The original street directly below was practically abandoned for many years. In the early '60's, the area was reopened and operated for a short time until social problems forced it to be shut down in 1980. It was reopened in 1989 under new management and is a great place to visit.
(submitted by DwightB on 11/04/06)